Review: Gymbox

Today, 24th  September 2018 I tried out my first Gymbox   class. The gym just opened at Cannon Street and I was lucky enough to have a taster of the facilities. See below what I got up to, what I thought of the class and if I would recommend it as a top workout spot in London. What class did I do? I did the BadAss class Who was the instructor? Phoebe What was the class like? Described on their website as 'the next level workout for your derriere', I can confirm that this class certainly does make your booty burn! The class was 30-minutes and consisted of a dynamic, cardio warm-up and then 2 sections of weight-based workout. Squats, lunges, pulses were, as expected, all included in the workout. The 2 sections of workout were made up of 3/4 exercises which you did for 1 minute each before switching, complete all the exercises and then have 30 seconds rest. You then repeated that section through again before moving on to the 2nd section. I definitely struggled

Review: Grace Fit Guide

So back in December I was feeling the whole 'I've eaten way too much, I'm going to need some help getting back into the gym' vibe and saw GraceFitUK's guides online. She was offering a great discount on all 3 of her guides and I thought it was exactly what I was looking for.

5 months down the line and I am not using the guides anymore despite (pretty much) finishing the first one.

There are a lot of things I liked about this programme and a few things I wish I'd known/thought of before I leapt in and purchased all 3 guides so I wanted to do a review for anyone thinking of buying the guides and who I think it could be more useful for.

Pros

  • Structure
    • The structure of the programme I think was really great. I enjoyed the workout split and the app that came along with it which allowed me to track how much I was lifting and how long workouts were taking
    • The workout split is across 5 days and is as follows: legs, booty, chest and arms, back and shoulders and abs and cardio. This is a split that I have kept myself (pretty much!) into my own workouts, merging the two leg workouts into one
    • I found the structure useful as it meant I could just walk into the gym without having to think of a workout, it was already done for me. This was both good and bad which I will cover later
  • Community
    • With the purchase of the guides, I got made aware of the Grace Fit Guide Facebook group which is full of girls who are doing the guides/have done the guides/are thinking of buying the guides. It's a safe space to share transformation pictures, personal achievements and ask questions about fitness in general.
    • Even though I am no longer doing the guides, I still find this a helpful place to get meal prep and workout ideas

Cons

  • Experience
    • If you have a lot of experience in the weights section of the gym then I don't think you will necessarily need/enjoy the plan. Whilst I enjoyed not having to think of my own workouts, I found the repetition a bit much. The workouts changed every 4 weeks which is great but I also felt a bit restricted in what I could do
    • As someone who has been lifting for well over a year now, I know what I like and what I don't like. I enjoy being able to come up with my own workout programmes depending on how I'm feeling on the day or which muscles I particularly want to target. Whilst the guides were a great source of inspiration for me going forward, I didn't particularly relish being tied down to doing just the exercises in the plan
    • One small thing for me was that I found the order of some of the workouts odd e.g. on a leg day, squats would be the 3rd or 4th exercise in the routine whereas I prefer to do my big lifts first then move on to accessories
  • Aflete app
    • The nature of the app allowed you to 'check off' your workouts and the exercises you had done. I found this a really helpful tool but also found it a little annoying. I didn't want to be made to feel bad if I had to miss a workout or missed a certain exercise out due to time. This is a personal issue and I don't know how others feel about this.
    • I know a lot of people have had some issues with the app deleting their workouts/progress which was not something I personally experienced but I thought it important to put on here
So in summary, I think the guides are a great place for beginners who may not feel like they know what to do in the weights section of the gym. 

Whilst I found them useful for creating my own workouts, I don't think I needed to purchase all 3 especially when there is such a wealth of information out there already

The community is the one thing that will stay with me from the guides and a place I hope continues to be the supportive environment that it is.

CFG x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Gymbox

Top Tips: How To Stay Motivated

Top Tips: Keeping Fit in the City