Review: Gymbox

Today, 24th  September 2018 I tried out my first Gymbox   class. The gym just opened at Cannon Street and I was lucky enough to have a taster of the facilities. See below what I got up to, what I thought of the class and if I would recommend it as a top workout spot in London. What class did I do? I did the BadAss class Who was the instructor? Phoebe What was the class like? Described on their website as 'the next level workout for your derriere', I can confirm that this class certainly does make your booty burn! The class was 30-minutes and consisted of a dynamic, cardio warm-up and then 2 sections of weight-based workout. Squats, lunges, pulses were, as expected, all included in the workout. The 2 sections of workout were made up of 3/4 exercises which you did for 1 minute each before switching, complete all the exercises and then have 30 seconds rest. You then repeated that section through again before moving on to the 2nd section. I definitely struggled

Workout Inspiration: Circuits

Circuits.

A word that can fill you with dread as you think of running round the gym floor to different stations with someone shouting 'go' and 'faster' for what seems to be an unbearable amount of time.

Circuits in classes always seem to be made up of your least favourite exercises. And you have to do loads of them.

I used to hate circuits until I started making my own.

The beauty of circuits is you can do them with as much or as little equipment as you like.

I think there are 4 types of exercises that are essential in creating a quick and effective circuit:

  • Plyometric exercise also known as jump training are exercises in which muscles exert maximum amount of force in short intervals of time
  • Cardio exercise is any exercise that gets your heart rate raised
  • Resistance is an exercise that adds resistance, usually in the form of a weight to help strengthen the muscles 
  • Core. Pretty self-explanatory, exercises that work your core/abs 

I like to include a mixture of these types of exercises in my circuits to make sure I am getting a good, full-body workout.

Examples of these exercises can be seen below:

  • Plyometric
    • Box jumps, jumping lunges, squat jumps
  • Cardio 
    • Toe taps, high knees, burpees, star jumps, skipping
  • Resistance
    • Kettlebell swings, barbell rows, overhead press, squat pulses
  • Core
    • Mountain climbers, hanging tucks, thrusters/bottom half burpees

A lot of these exercises will overlap in terms of what they do for the body and the way in which you perform the circuit will hopefully ensure that your heart rate is raised throughout.

When I'm in the gym, I like to use a lot of equipment (if there's space) however, sometimes this isn't always an option.

Here I have put together 2 circuits for you, 1 with equipment and 1 without

EQUIPMENT CIRCUIT
10 KB swings
5 box jumps
10 battle ropes slams
150m row (sprint)
5 tyre flips
7 hanging tucks
40 toe taps

45-60 secs rest between rounds
6 rounds

NO EQUIPMENT CIRCUIT
Star jumps
Burpees
Squats - 5 pulses, 2 jumps
Mountain climbers
Shoulder taps
Flutter kicks
Toe taps

40 secs on, 20 secs off
4 rounds

For circuits with equipment, I find it a lot easier to go on reps/distance than on time. That is just personal preference.

Why don't you try one of these for your next session?

CFG x





DISCLAIMER: I am not a personal trainer, these are just tips and tricks that I have picked up myself. If you have any injuries or feel pain whilst completing any exercises mentioned above, then please speak to a professional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Gymbox

Top Tips: How To Stay Motivated

Top Tips: Keeping Fit in the City